Goodbye, 'Jogbra'...

May 2015: First up, though I still try to put up blog content whenever I can, it has been easier to more regularly visit the the Twitterverse. Follow me at @barethomas10 and let's keep the shirtless running flag flying. Of course, the blog still attracts very interesting comments, and good discussion. Keep it up.

Second, in the years since this venture launched, and as shirtless running among women has gone increasingly mainstream, the term "jogbra" has clearly declined in use. I will thus prefer "sportsbra" henceforth - as has already been the case on Twitter, and in recent posts here.

I continue to welcome guest posts (sent to barethomas@gmail.com) on any related topic, including from those who would discourage stripping to the waist. I am myself of course a fervent convert to the joys of running bare. But let all voices be heard!

Monday, April 20, 2009

Guest post: 'What they say is how fit I look'

Shirtless runner Don Ashton wrote in with his experience:

I have struggled with myself over going shirtless in a variety of situations, but for some reason I have relatively little problem running shirtless. If I'm out there huffing and puffing, running 4-5 miles, then I am doing more than most 99 per cent of the folks who cling to their couches.

I can run shirtless without having to mess with a wet T-shirt, I love the feel of the sun and the wind on the skin, and an hour several times a week can produce a pleasant tan without overdoing it and getting burned. Most of the time I jog at a track at a junior college near my home. 95 per cent of the people there merely walk the rubberised 1-mile track, but rather consistently I get two kinds of comments from people:

The first is comments on how far I run.
The other is comments about how fit I look.

The comments have consistently been positive. So I just use that for added encouragement to continue on, even if it is a bit cool.

Good luck with your blog. And enjoy your runs!

Don Ashton

[Send in your guest posts to barethomas@gmail.com]

No comments: